Educational Gaming and Virtual Worlds in Education
Required readings PRIOR to the online discussion in Week 5
Virtual Worlds in Education.pdf
- Go to this link: Cybalounge
- To the right of the Region line there is a choice bar.
- Click the down-pointing wedge and click on your destination.
- Click guest login.
- When you get there, wait for the place to finish loading.
- Click the screen to focus the computer on it. Try walking.
- (You can't move till loading finishes.)
How to walk
- Up arrow to move forward
- Down arrow to move backward
- Left or right arrows to turn
- Hold down shift to walk fast.
How to Fly
- Click the paper plane (upper left)
- It turns white, meaning fly mode.
- To go up press u (for up).
- To go down press d (for down).
- These may change to more common conventions later.
- To move forward, back, or turn, use the arrow keys as in walking.
How to sit and stand back up
- Places to sit will have pose balls, usually colored.
- Click on a pose ball and your avatar will sit there.
- To stand, click on the "Stop Animation" button (upper right).
How to use chat
- Type in the chat bar (bottom left), press return.
- Give a web link: Put it on a separate line.
- It should appear in color, meaning a click on it will open the page.
- To copy from chat history, click the pair of squares in the bottom line.
- The history opens in a separate panel.
- Double-click the first word of the text you want to copy.
- Hold down Shift and click the last word you want to copy.
- Click Ctrl-c to copy and Crtl-v to paste.
How to talk in voice
- Click on the mic graphic (bottom line).
- It gets a green background when activated.
- The preferred device for conversation combines head phones and microphone.
- This device puts the mic near your mouth and the audio at your ears.
- With other arrangements you may have to mute your mic when others speak.
- To mute your mic, click the button again; the background will turn red.
- If voice does not connect, check the small black panel (upper left).
- Green parentheses by a name indicate that the person is connected in voice.
- If voice is not working for you, click "Reset voice" in that panel.
If you loose where we are: