Dr Zagami is a 3rd/4th generation Australian from South East Queensland, prior to this he traces his genealogy paternally (Zagami) to the Italian Aeolian Islands and maternally (Weber) to Germanic (Prussian/Pomeranian) origins.
Weber has its origins as a professional surname of 'weaver' with the family motto 'Lillae praelucent tells' 'Lillies outshine weapons of war'.
Zagami has its origins in the Phoenician / Old Arabic word za'ama for 'leadership' influenced by North African conquests through the Aeolian Islands.
Noela Joy Zagami (5 September 1941 - n.d.) (nee Weber) (Mother)
Noela is the daughter of Eric and Muriel nee Kitzelman and born in Ipswich on the 5th of September 1941. She attended Ipswich North State School, Peak Crossing State School (1951) and Ipswich State High School. She married Anthony (Tony) on the 4th of July 1964 in St Pauls, Ipswich and has lived at Peak Crossing; Ipswich; Cunnamula; Nambour; Cairns; Dawn St, Miami; Golden Four Drive, Tugun; Currumbin Creek Road, Currumbin; Coolangatta Road, Tugun; Dilgara Rd, Tugun; 30 Monash St, Tugun; 16 Ronald St, Shailer Park; 33 Adelong Road, Shailer Park; 59 Blackthorne Crs, Shailer Park; Kooralbyn; and 9 Farwell Close, Kooralbyn. Noela served in the WRAAF (Service Number: W19745) from 1960 to 1964, with Tony they owned and operated a General Store (North Ipswich); the Billabong Hotel/Motel (Cunnamulla); Gold Mining (GinGin), Fruit Shops (Miami, Tweed Heads Mall, Banora Point), Pet Shops (Tweed Heads Mall, Pacific Fair, Woodridge Plaza), a Caravan Park (Beaconsfield), and Real Estate agencies (Shailer Park, Kooralbyn). She is an accomplished golfer and active in the Returned and Services League of Australia. Noela and Tony have two children: Jason Anthony Zagami (25 September 1967 - n.d.) who married Deborah Frances Craufurd Murray (27 January 1977 - n.d.) on the 6th of January 2007 at St Marys Church, Merivale, Christchurch (destroyed in the 2011 earthquake); and Shane Anthony Vincent (7th of June 1970 - n.d.) who married Alina Broadfoot (30th of August 1968 - n.d.) on the 18th of February 2006 at Koralbyn, and have five children: Lara (8 March 2000 - n.d.), Dylon (3 October 2002 - n.d.), Cody (28 December 2005 - n.d.), Jessie (14 April 2008 - n.d.), and Lochie (3 July 2009 - n.d.).
Eric John Weber (9th of June 1910 - 18th June 1987) (Maternal Grandfather)
Eric was the son of John and Mary nee Kruger and born in Harrisville on the 9th of June 1910. He was a stud (cattle) farmer on 600 acres over 3 properties at Peak Crossing, Queensland and then as the publican of the Billabong Hotel/Motel (Cunnamulla). Eric was an accomplished violinist, Lawn Bowler, and a freemason at the Modestia Lodge, Ipswich number 215. Eric died at 78 in Southport, Gold Coast on the 18th of June 1987 from a cerebral vascular accident and is buried in the Allambe Gardens Crematorium, Nerang, Rose Garden 16 Site 1057.
Muriel May Weber (1st August 1915 - 31st of August 2001) (nee Kitzelman) (Maternal Grandmother)
Muriel was the daughter of ??????? and ??????? Kitzelman and born in Marburg, Rosewood on the 1st of April 1915. She married Eric on the 10th of August 1940 at St Johns Lutheran Church, Ipswich and lived at Peak Crossing, Ipswich; Cunnamulla; Tahiti Avenue, Palm Beach; then at 59 Blackthorne Crs, Shailer Park, Brisbane. Muriel and Eric had two children: Noela Joy Zagami (5 September 1941 - n.d.) who married Anthony Vincent Zagami (6 August 1941 - n.d.) and had two children: Jason (25 September 1967 - n.d.) and Shane (17th of June 1970 - n.d.); and John Herbert Weber (8th of August 1944 - n.d.) who married Catherine nee Hogan (???? - n.d.) and had two children: Dean John Weber (8th of August 1968 to 12th of March 1985???) and Tracey Lee Gossow (9th of December 1969 - n.d.), and remarried to Jenny nee ???? (???? - n.d.) and remarried to Brenda nee ???? (???? - n.d.). Muriel died at 87 in Brisbane on the 31st of August 2001 and is buried at the Allambe Gardens Crematorium, Nerang.
Johann Hermann Weber (10 September 1888 - 2 December 1929) (Maternal Great Grandfather)
John was the son of Wilhelm and Ernestine nee Brauer and born on the 10th of September 1888 at Mutdapilly, Queensland, Australia. John was a farmer and award winning breeder of IMS cattle with the JH brand. John lived at Middle Road, Peak Crossing and died at 42 in a horse riding accident on his property at Peak Crossing on the 2nd of December 1929 and is buried at the Mutdapilly cemetery.
Mary Eliza Weber (nee Kruger) (1890 - 31 October 1971) (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Mary (Mar) was the daughter of ?????? and ???? Kruger and born in 1890 in Mt Kruger????????. She married John on the 16th of June 1909 in Ipswich, Queensland and lived at Middle Road, Peak Crossing, Portion 229, free selection 20L, free selection 212L, and subdivision 4 of pre-emptive portion 2, county of Churchill, Parish of Flinders. Mary and John had three children: Estelle (Stella) Mary Meehan (nee Weber) (???? - ????); Lola Morrow (nee Weber) (???? - ????); and Eric John Weber (9th of June 1910 - 18th of June 1987) who married Muriel Kitzelman (1 August 1915 - 31 August 2011). Mary died at 82 in Palm Beach, Gold Coast on the 31st of October 1971 and is buried at the Mutdapilly Cemetery.
Wilhelm Weber (6 January 1838/39? - 19 April 1895) (Maternal Great Great Grandfather)
Wilhelm (William) was the son of ????? and ???? and born on the 6th of January 1838 in Erdsmanswalde, Uckermark, Preussen. Wilhelm emigrated from Germany to Australia on the ???? in 1877, possibly naturalised 1890 (at 50) in South Australia. 1881 Application for Letters Patent by William Weber titled - A new process of tanning leather with the aid of chemicals. Wilhelm died at 56 on the 19th of April 1895 and is buried at the Mutdapilly Cemetery.
Ernestine Weber (nee Brauer) (1844 - 19 April 1895 or 18 Jun 1917) (Maternal Great Great Grandmother)
Ernestine aka Annestien was the daughter of Martin Brauer aka Brewer (1818, Preussen - ????) and Louisa/Louise/Luise Newhans/Newhaus/Neuhaus (1823, Woddow/Kremzow, Preussen - ????) who had (at least) two children: Ernestine and Marie/Maria/Mary Brauer/Breuer/Brewer (1837, Trampee, Uckermark, Preussen - 31 March 1889, Mutdapilly, Cemetery). Ernestine was born in 1844 in Woddow/Kremzow, Preussen. Ernestine was previously married to Fredrich Wilhelm Brauer (her 1st cousin) (1 January 1840, Woddow, Preussen - 9 April 1874). Friedrich Brauer (23) an Arbieter and Ernestine (21) emigrated aboard the Beausite, departing Hamburg on the 23rd of October 1864 arriving in Moreton Bay on the 6th of February 1865. Ernestine had seven children with Fredrich before he died at 30 on the 9th of April 1874 and was buried at Mutdapilly Cemetery. Ernestine then remarried to Wilhelm Weber on the 12th of December 1875 at the Ipswich Agricultural Reserve, Queensland, Australia. Ernestine and Wilhelm had four children: John Herman Weber (10 September 1888 - 2 December 1929), Ernest Alexander Weber (18 December 1921, Harrisville - ????), ???? and ????. Ernestine died at 51 on the 19th of April 1895 or (73 on the 18 Jun 1917) and is buried at Mutdapilly Cemetery.
Anthony Vincent Zagami (6 August 1941 - n.d.) (Father)
Anthony (Tony) is the son of Vincent and Dawn nee Garson and born in Brisbane on the 6th of August 1941. He attended GinGin State School, Berkdale State School, Wynnum Central State School, and Manly High School. Tony has lived in GinGin; Thornside; Brisbane; Ipswich; Cunnamula; Nambour; Cairns; Dawn St, Miami; Golden Four Drive, Tugun; Currumbin Creek Road, Currumbin; Coolangatta Road, Tugun; Dilgara Rd, Tugun; 30 Monash St, Tugun; 16 Ronald St, Shailer Park; 33 Adelong Road, Shailer Park; 59 Blackthorne Crs, Shailer Park; Kooralbyn; and 9 Farwell Close, Kooralbyn. Tony was as an amateur boxer, accountant, salesman (lingerie and manchester), and car salesman; then with Noela they owned and operated a General Store (North Ipswich); the Billabong Hotel/Motel (Cunnamulla); Gold Mining (GinGin), Insurance (Nambour, Mackay, Cairns), Fruit Shops (Miami, Tweed Heads Mall, Banora Point), Pet Shops (Tweed Heads Mall, Pacific Fair, Woodridge Plaza), and Real Estate agencies (Brisbane, Redland Bay, Cleveland, Russell Island, Shailer Park, Gold Coast, and Kooralbyn). He was active in Rotary and is an accomplished golfer and amateur Bird Breeder.
Vincent Zagami (7 January 1914 - 1972) (Paternal Grandfather)
Vincenzo was the son of Salvatore and Mary-Ann nee Antinoni and born in Brisbane on the 7th of January 1914. He attended St Mary's School and St Laurence's College, South Brisbane where he was accomplished in Bicycle Racing and as a violinist. Vincent inherited a fish and chip shop and restaurant (on the location of the Blue Room skating rink, South Brisbane and now the Art Gallery). In 1931 he was acquitted of accidentally killing a pedestrian and served (Service Number Q197134) in the Australian army from the 30th of July 1940 to the 19th of October 1945 as a cook at Fort Lynton, serving at discharge at 12 AA Canteens Service Club with the rank of Lance Sargent, then he became a fruitier for the State (Victoria Cross) Jam Factory and from 1950 as buyer and truck driver of strawberries for the factory. From 1963 Vincent was regularly hospitalised at Mt Olivet and Prince Charles Hospitals where he died at 59 of emphysema in ???? 1972 and is buried at the Hemmant Cemetery.
Dawn Zagami (????-????) (nee Garson) (Paternal Grandmother) cf erol for details
Dawn was the daughter of William Garson and Elizabeth Monkton (born in ??????? in Devon, England emigrating to Australia in ?????). She was an accomplished Pianist performing throughout the Burnett valley. Dawn married Vincent on ????????? in Brisbane and they lived at Mooroondu Rd, Thornsaide and moved to Timaru, New Zealand in ????. Dawn and Vincent had five children: Anthony Vincent (6 August 1941 - n.d.) who married Noela Joy Weber (5 September 1941- n.d.) and had two children: Jason Anthony who married Deborah Frances Craufurd Murray and Shane Anthony Vincent who married Alina ???? who have five children: Lara, Dylon, Cody, Jessie, and Lochie; Barbara ???? (17 April ???? - ????) who married Keith Leighton (???? - n.d.) and had four children: Deborah, Sandra, Brian, and Annette; David John Zagami (19 December 1945 - 10 August 2017) died at 71 and was buried at the Great Southern Crematorium, Carbrook) who married Alice ???? (???? - n.d.) and had two children: Darrin and Mark, then married Sylvia; Errol Ronald (???? - n.d.) who married Joanne Butling (???? - n.d.) who had two children: David and Caleb; and Harvey ???? (???? - n.d.) who married Judy ???? (???? - n.d.) and had two children: ???? and ????. Dawn died in Timaru, New Zealand on the ????????? and is buried at the Hemmant Cemetery.
Salvatore Zagami (28 April 1878 - 13 June 1935) (Paternal Great Grandfather)
Salvatore was the son of Salvatore and Carmella nee Costa and born on the island of Lipari, Italy on the 28th of April 1878 when at the age of 24 he emigrated to Australia arriving from Sicily on the 2nd of February 1902 on the Oruba. He lived in Brisbane from 1902 to November 1905, Melbourne from November 1905 to August 1909, and then back in Brisbane at Victoria Place, Melbourne St, South Brisbane from August 1909 to his death in 1935. He was naturalised on the 28th of February, 1912.
Following his fathers trade, Salvatore was a successful fishmonger, winning state fish mongering competition prizes for canning and fish curing. He was the named partner for "S. Zagami & Co.," with Bestiano Mazzaglia until bought out in 1926 then with Nicholas Freeleagus until he was bought out in 1928. Salvatore was a leader of the Brisbane Fascio (Italian fascist movement), member of the Italian Club, and a well respected Mason at U.A.O.D., Stonehenge Lodge No.2. His 50th birthday (1933) was attended by the Italian Consul. Salvatore died at 58 in Brisbane on the 13th of June 1935 and is buried at the Toowong cemetery.
Mary-Ann Victoria Zagami (1883 - 6 August 1969) (nee Antonini) (Paternal Great Grandmother) father John Antinoni
Mary-Ann was the daughter of Giovanni (John) Battista Antonini (Italian Royal links) and Maria Mary Orsola nee Davico and born in 1883 in Brisbane. She married Salvatore on the 20th of October 1910 in Brisbane and lived at 9 Merivale street, South Brisbane and Victoria Place, 43 Melbourne St, South Brisbane, and at their Seaside Residence in Thornside. Mary-Ann and Salvatore had four children: Marie Victoria (???? - ????) who married Henry Patrick Stewart (7 March 1906 - Jan 1987); Umberto Salvatore Zagami (1913 - 19 June 2000) who married Maude Phyllis Sander (???? - 11 November 1999); Vincent Zagami (1913 - 1972) who married Dawn Carson (???? - ????); and Guiseppe (???? - n.d.) who married Betty Chalk (???? - ????). Mary-Ann died at 87 in Brisbane on the 6th of August 1969 and is buried at the Toowong cemetery (Portion 26, Section 25A, Grave 24).
Felix Zagami (16 May 1863 - 6 August 1909) (Paternal Great Great Grandfather)
Felix 'The Old Fisherman' was the son of Salvatore and Carmela nee Costa and born 16 May 1863 in Lipari, Italy. He was a fishmonger and emigrated in ????????? from Lipari, Italy. As a keen experimenter he helped introduce olive cultivation and pressed Queensland's first olive oil in 1895. In his early years he lived at Breakfast Creek and had an acclaimed wine cellar. Starting work at the Brisbane Fish and Agency Company (with over 200 employee'sand 5 retail outlets) heleft in 1888? on condition that he return to Italy for several years but on his return he was appointed manager to rebuild the company. Felix became Brisbane's leading fishmonger, starting in September 1896 the Fish Fish Fish Depot company at 86 Edward St, Brisbane, Breakfast Creek and Roma St Railway Cold Stores, and by 1902 was the sole proprietor of the Zagami Bridge Fish Depot, winning awards for fish smoking, and self financing a fleet of twenty three fishing boats to overcome weak competition to supply fish for Brisbane. He established the Brisbane fish market in 1907, and imported large shipments of fish from around the world. Felix was a Mason and active with the Italian consulate. Felix was working, opening a box of crayfish for a fish board inspector when he died suddenly at 46 from heart failure in Brisbane on the 6th of August 1909 and is buried at the Toowong cemetery.
Angelina Zagami (1873 - 14 May 1926) (nee Palmero) (Paternal Great Great Grandmother)
Angiolina was the daughter of Franscesco Sebastian Palmero and Anna Mera nee Mejia and born in ???? in ?????. She married Felix on the 13th of January 1888 in Brisbane and they lived at Breakfast Creek; Victoria Place, South Brisbane; and at 'Lipari', a large 1/2 acre property on the corner of Melbourne and Merivale Streets, South Brisbane (Lots 30 and 31,Parish of South Brisbane). 'Lipari' was a "Substantial and commodious house containing 8 large rooms, bathroom, pantry, and verandas, large shed (63 x 16), comprising stables, feed room, etc., with concrete floor, and having large rooms suitable for dormitories overhead, brick smokehouse, etc." In 1911, two years after the death of Felix, she sold 'Lipari' on Upper Melbourne St, South Brisbane. Angelina and Felix had seven children: Salvatore (1890 - 1957), Carmela (1893-????) who married Guiseppe Stefano in 1914, Margarita (1895-????) who married Camillo Grasso in 1916, Felix (12 August 1901- 7 August 1946), Anna (1906-????), Francesco (1907- 1 Dec 1955), and Teresa (1909-????) who married John Thomas Weller in 1933. Angelina died at 53 in Brisbane on the 14th of May 1926 and is buried at the Toowong cemetery.
Salvatore Della Chiesa Zagami (24 Dec 1838 - ????) (Paternal Great Great Great Grandfather)
Salvatore was the son of Giuseppi and Teresa nee Vitagliana and born 24 Dec 1838 in Lipari, Italy. It is unclear if Salvatore emigrated to Australia or remained in Lipari. Salvatore died in ???? and is buried at the ????. Salvatore Della Chiesa translates as Church of the Saviour.
Carmela Zagami (????-????) (nee Costa) (Paternal Great Great Great Grandmother)
Carmela was the daughter of ???? and ???? and born in ???? in ????. It is unclear if Carmela emigrated to Australia or remained in Lipari. Carmela and Salvatore had ten children: Rosaria (28 Aug 1880 Lipari, Italy - ????), Felix (16 May 1863 in Lipari, Italy - 6 August 1909 in Brisbane, Australia) married Angelina nee Palmero (1873 - 14 May 1926 Brisbane (daughter of Francesco Sebastian Palmero and Anna Mejia) in 1888 in Brisbane, Anna (22 February 1876 in Lipari, Italy - ????), Salvatore (1865 in Lipari, Italy - ????), Theresa (17 October 1866 in Lipari, Italy - 1929 in Alicudi, Italy) married Angelo Taranto (1850 Italy - ????), Bartolomeo (12 Feb 1869 in Lipari, Italy - 1942) married Maria Giuseppa D'Albora (18 Mar 1876 Alicudi, Italy - 6 Jul 1962 Messina, Italy), Rosa (31 Jul 1873 Lipari, Italy - ????), Margherita (1 Feb 1871 Lipari, Italy, Salvatore (Apr 1878 Lipari, Italy - 1935 in Brisbane, Australia) married Mary Ann Antonini (1883 - 6 Aug 1969, Brisbane) in Brisbane, and Giuseppe (3 May 1861 in Lipari, Italy - ????). Carmela died in ???? on the ???? and is buried at the ????.
Giuseppi Zagami (~1818 - ????) (Paternal Great Great Great Great Grandfather)
Giuseppi was the son of ???? and ???? and born about 1818 in Lipari, Italy.
Teresa Zagami (~1820 - ????) (nee Vitagliana) (Paternal Great Great Great Great Grandmother)
Teresa was the daughter of ???? Vitagliana and ???? and born about 1820 in Lipari, Italy. Teresa and Giuseppi had six children: Salvatore Della Chiesa 24 Dec 1838 Lipari, Italy - ????), Giovanni Ecclesia (14 May 1847 Lipari, Italy - ????) who married Francesca Bonfiglio, Giuseppe (9 Sep 1840 Lipari, Italy - ????) who married Giuseppa nee Barca, Catherina (9 July 1845 Lipari, Italy - 14 Sep 1847 in Lipari, Italy), Rose (27 Sep 1842 Lipari, Italy - ????), and Bartolomeo (Sep 15 1856 - ????).
The Zagami family of whom Dr Jason Zagami is descended had begun emigrating to Brisbane, Australia by 1888 from Lipari on the Aeolian Islands, Italy and essentially this transfer was completed by 1902. They settled in South Brisbane as a large family collective residing in several homes in close proximity. In context, Brisbane was established as a penal colony in 1824 and opened to free settlement in 1838.
Historical records in the Aeolian Museum at Lipari show that the Zagami family held an extensive estate on Lipari, owned the island waterworks, and the Zagami family crypt dominates the Lipari cemetery.
Within the islands, the largest concentration of Zagami's were on Alicudi, then Filicudi and finally Lipari representing a gradual migration east from Alicudi. Later local migrations occurred to Ustica and Messina, Scilly.
Towards the end of the 19th century, the Aeolian Islands were visited by Duke Luigi Salvatore of Austria who researched the archipelago between the years 1893-96 and published a seminal work of eight volumes on the Aeolian Islands.
Exposure to international opportunities, the ready availability of shipping, destruction of vineyards from phylloxera, and a general economic depression resulted in the rapid emigration of over 50% of the population (approximately 10000 inhabitants) within a decade, primarily to the USA (predominantly around New Orleans), Argentina and Australia (predominantly to Melbourne). This period was dramatised in the Italian film 'Stromboli' staring Ingrid Bergman.
Entering the 19th century, Lipari became a major stopping point for Mediterranean shipping and improvements to the economy resulted in a rapid population expansion reaching over 20000 by 1891.
The economic conditions of the islands improved greatly during the 17th and 18th centuries with agricultural progress (malvasia grapes, capers, fruit, vegetables and fishing). A decrease in Barbary Pirate activity allowed the population to increase and in 1691 the population had returned to over 10000.
In 1693 an earthquake destroyed the towns in south eastern Sicily causing 60,000 deaths. The Aeolian population invoked the protection of Saint Bartholomew during prayers in the Cathedral and there was not a single death on the Aeolian Islands.
Charles V repopulated Lipari with Sicilian, Calabrian and Spanish families and built massive city walls atop the walls of the ancient Greek acropolis in 1556. Naples and Palermo united to form the Kingdom of the two Sicilies under the crown of Alfonso V of Aragon and the Aeolian privileges were recognised. Aeolian privateers then fought with the Spanish against the French. The acropolis, high above the main town, now provided a safe haven for the populace in the event of raids. While these walls protected the main town, it was not generally safe to live on the rest of the islands until Mediterranean piracy was largely eradicated at the end of the 19th century.
On June 30, 1544, a fleet of 180 Turkish vessels under the command of the corsair Hayreddin Barbarossa, in conjunction with the French fleet of Captain Polin under a Franco-Ottoman alliance, sacked Lipari after 15 days of bombardment and enslaved 9000 out of the 10000 inhabitants. Jérôme Maurand lamented "To see so many poor Christians, and especially so many little boys and girls [enslaved] caused a very great pity." and "the tears, wailings and cries of these poor Lipariotes, the father regarding his son and the mother her daughter... weeping while leaving their own city in order to be brought into slavery by those dogs who seemed like rapacious wolves amidst timid lambs".
In 1443 the islands become the property of the Queen Jane, Crown of Naples and by decree of Boniface IX is separated from the Church of Pati and becomes part of the Kingdom of Naples.
In 1337 Lipari opens its gates to the Aragonese fleet without resistance and in return obtains commercial benefits. The islands are given by Frederick III as a fief to Ulfone of Procida, but soon revoked for betrayal and given to Federico Chiaramonte.
In 1208 Frederick the 2nd of Swabia accedes to the throne of Sicily. A period of prosperity that ends with the domination of the Angevins and the rebellion of the Sicilians culminating in the revolt of the Sicilian Vespers. The Aeolians however, remained loyal to Charles of Anjou and commercial links were established with Naples, the capital of the Angevin kingdom.
Lipari again become a bishopric with the Lipari episcopal seat reinstated in 1131, first suffragan to the Archbishopric of Messina, then for two centuries to the Bishopric of Patti. Though still plagued by pirate raids, the islands were increasingly populated from this point onward. Rule of the islands was passed from the Normans to the Hohenstaufen Kings, followed by the Angevins, and then the Aragonese, until Carlos I the Aragonese King became the Spanish King, and then crowned Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.
The Normans liberated Sicily from the Arabs between 1060 and 1090 and repopulated the islands under the banner of Great Count Roger. King Ruggero sent the Benedictine monks to Lipari, which gave rise to considerable development on the islands, a cathedral dedicated to Saint Bartholomew was built together along with a Benedictine monastery in the castle and agriculture was improved on Salina and the other islands.
In the 9th century, Sicily was conquered by the Arabs, and used as a base for Saracen pirates to raid across the Tyrrhenian Sea with dramatic effects for Lipari when in 839 the Saracens again slaughtered much of the population. The relics of St. Bartholomew had been moved to Benevento in 803 and the Aeolians were almost totally abandoned under Arab rule with only remnant populations. The name Zagami is derived from the arabic word za'ama for 'leadership' and may have originated from this period.
In 836 the Saracens sack Lipari, massacring much of the population and enslaving most of the survivors.
From the 6th century the relics of St. Bartholomew were being visited in the cathedral by pilgrims.
With the fall of the Roman empire the Aeolian Islands came under the sway of the Barbarian Visigoths, the Vandals and the Ostrogoths, followed by the harsh domination of the Byzantine empire.
Calogerus the hermit was active on Lipari during the first half of the 4th century and he gave his name to the thermal springs.
An episcopal see was established in the 3rd century with the first bishop, St. Agatone.
In the year 264 a coffin containing the body of the apostle Bartholomew washed upon the beach of Lipari and Bartholomew was immediately elected the Patron Saint of the Aeolian Islands.
The Romans repeatedly sacked Lipari from 252 to 251 BC and again by Agrippa in Octavian's campaign against Pompey. Under Roman Empire control it became a place of retreat, baths and exile.
From the 3rd century BC to the 3rd century AD the islanders allied with the Carthaginians against Rome and became a Carthaginian naval base during the first Punic War.
Lipara prospered until 304 when Agathokles took the town by treachery but lost the pillage in a storm at sea, much of which have been recovered and are on display in the Aeolian Museum at Lipari.
Carthaginian forces succeeded in holding the islands briefly during their struggles with Dionysios I, tyrant of Syracuse in 394, but once they left the islands entered into a three-way alliance that included Dionysios' new colony at Tyndaris.
Allied with Syracuse at the time of the intervention of Athens in the west in 427, Lipara withstood the assault of Athenians and their allies.
In 580 BC Greek exiles from Rhodes and Knidos under Pentathlos landed at Lipari and settled on the site of the village now known as Castello or la Cittade. The colony then successfully fought the Etruscans for control of the Tyrrhenian sea.
The continuous occupation of Lipari was interrupted violently when in the late 9th century BC when the Ausonian civilisation site, Lipara, was burned to the ground and not rebuilt until the arrival of the Greeks in 580 BC.
In 1184 BC following the Trojan war, Aeolus arrived from Troy and by marrying Liparus's daughter Cyane, succeeded him and was recorded by Homer in the Odyssey to have given hospitality to Ulysses on his own return from Troy.
Around 1270 BC many of the Ausones moved from Campania to Sicily. Settlement from southern Italy (in its Subapennine-Protovillanovan phases) of Ausonian I (1250-1150 BC) and II (1150-850 BC) are associated with the Pantalica I and II (Cassibile) phases in Sicily. From 1240 BC the Aeolian Islands were occupied by the Ausonians led by Liparus and the island of Meligunis renamed Lipara.
From 1600 to 1250 BC the Aeolian prospered by means of maritime commerce in an area extending from Mycenae to the British isles, from where tin was imported. Villages on the Eolian islands flourished on Capo Graziano (Filicudi), Castello (Lipari), Serro dei Cianfi (Salina), Capo Milazzese (Panarea), and Portella (Salina). All these settlements were destroyed by the new Italic invasions in 1250 BC.
Around 1400 BC the Punta Milazzese culture developed on Panarea and the Portella culture developed on Salina.
Around 2000 BC the Crapaziano (or Capo Graziano) culture arose on Filicudi, at the start of the early broze age.
Earlier settlements exist back to 5000 BC with Neolithic settlement remains located on all of the islands. The manufacture and commerce of obsidian was highly developed throughout the Mediterranean until the use of metals. Lipari's position made the harbor of strategic importance and in Neolithic times Lipari was, with Sardinia, one of the few centers of the commerce of obsidian, a hard black volcanic glass prized by Neolithic peoples for the sharp cutting edge it could produce.